Video in the Classroom

Based on Prensky’s descriptions, are you a digital native or a digital immigrant? Why do you think so?

In the article Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants by Marc Pensky, he describes Digital Natives as students that are "native speakers" of the digital language of computers, video games, and the Internet. Digital Immigrants are those who were not born into the Digital World. Digital Immigrants learn to adapt to their environment, but will always retain their "accent", or their foot in the past. After giving many examples of Digital Immigrants and Digital Natives, I believe that I am more a Digital Native. 

I don't remember growing up with a lot of technology in school or even in my house, but I think it came into my life at just the right time to keep me from being a Digital Immigrant. Not that being a Digital Immigrant is a bad thing, but I am thankful I am not one. In today's society, especially as a teacher, I think it would be very difficult to be a Digital Immigrant unless you are willing to learn and try new things. Unfortunately, I have seen Digital Immigrant teachers that are not open to new ideas or technology. This can really harm our students and this article does a great job of explaining that.

How are you equipped to teach the “digital natives” in your classroom? 


I am equipped to teach the Digital Natives in my classroom because I would classify myself as one. Digital Natives are used to receiving information fast and that's how they want to receive it. They go to the internet first for answers. They expect the game or program to teach itself instead of having to read a manual. Digital Natives prefer to multi-task and have their graphics before their text. They prefer "games" to serious work. Digital Natives thrive on instant gratification and frequent rewards. They function best when using technology. If we know what Digital Natives prefer and how they learn best, we have to teach to that. Fortunately, I think it is easier when you also learn and thrive that way, which I think I do. 

What further steps could you take to learn the “language” of multimedia?

By submerging yourself into multimedia, trying new things, exploring, learning, asking questions, you will begin to learn the "language" of multimedia. I believe it is all about our exposure to it. Some people chose to limit or even stay away from it completely. As a teacher today, we can't do that. We HAVE to explore and learn the "language" because its the language our students know and speak. We have to speak to them, what they know, what they are comfortable with. Our students come to us being comfortable with technology already, so our job is to build on that and teach them by using it. With that being said, I also understand the importance to limiting students screen time, teaching them to proper ways to use it, teaching them not to believe everything they see on the internet and protecting them from things that are out there. 

What steps can you take to keep students safe from undesirable social video content?

My last answer led me to this question pretty nicely. There is too much undesirable content on the internet and it's at our students' fingertips. It is scary. It is concerning. In order to keep our students safe, we have to preview the content we plan to use. It is so important that we take the time to watch the video ahead of time, listen to the song ahead of time, explore the website ahead of time. We will still run into situations where we can't preview EVERYTHING, especially as our students get older and have more freedom, have their own devices, etc. In that case, being present and giving them the knowledge needed in those situations is crucial. They need to be taught how to use technology safely. 

Image result for video in the classroom

Comments

  1. I have to say l love your image to go along with this blog! I feel this way sometimes.

    I had such a hard time admitting, that because of my age, I am probably a digital immigrant. I think because we have a great school district that pushes technology on us that it makes me feel like I should be a digital native. We don't have a lot of resistance on using the technology, I would say we have more problems with not having it available for us to use when we need it.

    Do you have your students being more creators than viewers? If so, what things do you do with them?

    I was able to create a rotation page for a week that allowed me to work with a small group on math skills while the other students were working on the math game that I wanted them to be on. They loved this idea and they thrived. They are digital creatures, but I was still in control when I would get a report back to know what they were accomplishing or not accomplishing sometimes. Those that were not doing so well I had to talk with them and decide how I could reach them better. What games do you use with your students?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Abby!

    I use a rotations similar to that as well. My students love to go on Prodigy. I also have them do Khan Academy and Xtra Math sometimes. All of these sites let me monitor their progress. A reading one we use is Istation. I have also used Front Row, Edmodo, and SeeSaw in the past for various things. SeeSaw is my favorite.

    I would say that my students are more creators than viewers when it comes to technology, but they do both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you tell me a little bit more about Xtra Math? I see that it is free. We use Math Facts in a Flash and Reflex Math, but I like the idea that it gets everyone in the day. How long does each student work on it before it calls the next student? Is it timed? You may have given me a new tool to use. I use Frontrow which is now Freckle, and I have looked into See Saw but I haven't used it yet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. XtraMath is so easy and nice to use! Each student spends maybe 5 minutes on it. I have them start in the morning as soon as they get to school. Then they just pass the ipads/computers to the next person. I have about 5 ipads and we can usually get through it in our 20 minute morning work block. They just pause on their morning work when it is their turn for XtraMath. The app for the Ipad is not free. The website on a computer is. I love SeeSaw, my students love SeeSaw, and their parents love it! It is more like an online portfolio for them and their parents get notified and can see their stuff. You can comment and "like" things as well. The teacher has to approve all the posts first before they actually post. There is so much you can do on SeeSaw that I don't even know! I just got started with it this past school year.

      Delete
    2. I will have to look into the cost for the iPads. I do have four computers that they can use. This may be worth looking into a bit closer. I found SeeSaw interesting from learning about it last year in class. I just didn't take it on last year. I may have to look at it for this upcoming year. Thank you for the information.

      Delete
    3. Chandler, I love your image! That is how I feel sometimes! I love your statement that as teachers it is our responsibility to learn the language so we can communicate with our students. I agree 100%. We do what we do because we LOVE kids and it is our job to make sure we are always giving everything our BEST to relate to those kids in our care!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Presentation Design